Webinar #7: Coffee production adapted to climate change
On August 31, 2022, IWCA Vietnam continued to cooperate with Global Coffee Platform (GCP), International Labour Organization (ILO) and IDH The Sustainable Trade Initiative (IDH) and other experts to organize the 7th webinar with the theme “Coffee production adapted to climate change.”
Climate change causes many negative impacts on coffee production in Vietnam.
The most typical are two extreme phenomena La Nina and El Nino which result in severe floods and droughts.
Mr. Mai Xuan Thong – Representative of GCP Vietnam and Mr. Nguyen Phi Hung – Expert on climate change impacts and adaption in agricultural production offered solutions to adapt coffee production to climate change being implemented by IDH, including:
- Regenerative agriculture & Natural farming
- Agroforestry & Agricultural diversification
In addition, Mr. Tran Minh Tri – National Project Coordinator from Vision Zero Fund, ILO pointed out 3 main activities in disaster risk management at small scale (villages, communes):
- Make disaster risk maps of local villages and communes
- Establish seasonal and disaster calendars to anticipate and assess seasonal risks
- Build institutions and improve disaster risk management capacity
The experts also analyzed coffee production models that are effectively using methods to adapt with climate change.
The case of Mori Coffee, who has received specialty coffee certificate for 3 consecutive years at the Vietnam Specialty Coffee contests, has been chosen as a good example.
Ms. Tran Thi Bich Ngoc – Founder of Mori Coffee shared the measures to minimize the impact of climate change:
- Planting candle bush to block the wind
- Limit the use of chemical products, limit cutting the grass too deep to increase the quality of humus.
The presentations of this webinar are available to download here: Download